Lockdowns across the UK nations
The ABRS is awaiting guidance from the BEF
on the specific requirements of the latest national lockdowns. We are also awaiting to see the Regulations for England, which have yet to be approved by Parliament. However, in reviewing the informational available on Government websites, we believe the position to be as follows:
- Riding Schools are required to close.
- Riding School and Livery Staff may still travel to work where this is required for the welfare and exercise of horses.
- Horse owners, sharers and loaners can still travel where this is required for the welfare and exercise of horses.
- Livery Yards can allow horse owners, sharers and loans access to their horses so that can continue to care for and exercise their horses.
- Horse exercise, include hacking, is permitted – this can only be undertaken with people that you live with, your support bubble (where you are legally able to form one) or with one other person.
- Essential visits for horse welfare (vets, farrier etc) can continue.
- The hiring of facilities (such as arena) is not permitted.
The position of one-to-one coaching is unclear and we need to await guidance/sight of the regulations on whether coaches can continue to practice.
We will update this advise when and as soon as we are able.
Riding Schools and Livery Yards should ensure that they have risk assessed their activities and put in place mitigation measures. The ABRS offers free training – contact email@example.com – if you wish to access this.
Please remember ‘Hands, Face, Space’ and keep safe.
The Government is putting in place financial measures that Schools and Yards can access – we will post more information on this when the application process becomes clearer.
Our heart goes out to all in the equine industry. It is terrifyingly hard to run a business when, from week to week, you do not know whether you will be open or closed. Please do feel free to contact us
if we can offer any advise or help.